Why is this course relevant and who is it for?
This is the only online course in the world on interlingual respeaking, that is, the only course that trains students to provide interlingual subtitles for live TV programmes and live events, making them accessible for a wide audience (hearing, deaf and hard of hearing, the elderly, children, foreigners, migrants, refugees, etc.).
The course includes modules on simultaneous interpreting (English-Spanish), intralingual respeaking (Spanish-Spanish) and interlingual respeaking (English-Spanish). It is suitable for anyone interested in translation and interpreting and, in particular, those who have an interest in audiovisual translation and the provision of accessibility services.
More info on the website: http://galmaobservatory.webs.uvigo.es/respeaking-course/
What is respeaking?
- To train students in simultaneous interpreting (English-Spanish) techniques to a specialised level, focusing on the development of practical competences.
- To provide students with skills needed to carry out professional intralingual respeaking (Spanish-Spanish).
- To provide students with skills needed to carry out professional interlingual respeaking (English-Spanish).
- University graduates.
- Undergraduate students who have completed 3/4 of an undergraduate degree.
- Language professionals with at least three years of professional experience and who are able to enrol onto a university course.
- Should a candidate have proven experience in module 1 and/or module 2, they might not be required to complete it/them.
If you want to apply, please follow this link.
- Pre-enrolment period: Monday, 23 December 2019 – Sunday, 26 January 2020
- Enrolment period: Monday, 27 January 2020 – Sunday, 16 February 2020
What do students say about the course?
Students are expected to spend around 2-3 hours per week on exercises to complete each unit. Graded exercises include practical simultaneous interpreting, intralingual respeaking and interlingual respeaking exercises. Students are also expected to contribute to online forum discussion and webinars.
Nuance Dragon Professional Individual is used in the course to train students. They will be provided with a free licence to be used throughout the duration of the course.
This is the second edition of the first online specialised course in interlingual respeaking. The course lasts 16 weeks (with 1-week break in between):
- Modules 1 and 2: Monday 17 February 2020 – Friday 24 April 2020
(8 weeks of teaching plus one final week for feedback, with an Easter break from Monday 6 April 2020 to Sunday 12 April 2020)
- Module 3: Monday 27 April 2020 – Friday 26 June 2020
(8 weeks of teaching plus one final week for feedback)
Upon successfull completion of the course, students will receive a certificate of expert issued by the University of Vigo.
Faculty of Philology and Translation (University of Vigo)
Dr Luis Alonso Bacigalupe (email@example.com)